Hi,

I'm a bit puzzled about this...does this measure include all orchid hybrids or just
the tropical or the horticultural hybrids? Many native orchid sites I've seen have a
number of natural hybrids, so if I'm not mistaking the poachers get a free ticket for
these plants ? Also what about variations in a species that could misleadingly be used
to call it a hybrid and get it shipped as such ? I thought CITES main goal was to
protect wild plants, but this measure seems to partially step back from this. I'm sure
it'll do the horticultural industry a favour but it seems to erode the fundamental
task of CITES.

greetings from Belgium,
Frederick

>Though I am in agreement with the removal of hybrids from CITES (all plants
>should be removed from CITES as far as I am concerned since it is a trade
>agreement not, a conservation measure), it is a start.  The practical part of it
>though is that to have the plants determined as hybrids you must document them
>as such, not much different than what was required for a certificate of
>artificial propagation.  So, on paper we have made strides forward, when in
>actuality, it is just going to be a substitution of one for the other.  For most
>small
>producers, it won't change anything.  For the large ones, it will make it
>simpler. I hope I am wrong, but having been in government most of my professional
>career, I know how they think and work.

Check out the new EudoraMail at
http://www.eudoramail.com