Although it has been mentioned before, let me re-add my recommendation
for Talo Kawasaki's absolutely wonderful bat - Sara Adams's excellent
video instructions are here:

 http://youtu.be/_7vt9p7cLVQ

and it's available in print form in Issue 5# of Creased.

I cannot wait to teach this model at the OrigaMIT convention at MIT
this weekend!  Sparkly black Stardream text-weight paper works really,
really well...

I just received an email saying it was also now in "The Fold"

I have folded it from black construction paper and although it is thick and
soft it works well.
The 9 x 12 paper can be folded using the American standard directions.  the
last fold on the wing is a little short but doesn't effect the model.  Or you
can cut a half inch from the width making it 8.5 x 12 and can treat it as "A
paper" and it works just fine.

Kathy