Following the string about asking permission to teach models...

HI guys,
It's been awhile since I posted here anything of importance, but this
question really pushed by button.
The next sentences are my opinion only.
For me, whenever you want to teach origami without profit, just do it.
Teach any model you like from any book you bought, or any diagram that was
published in a convention book you got. It is totally within your rights.
Do we really ask a permission from every writer to read his book in front
of our class? It doesn't make sense at all, just like with any other
creation. Do we ask permission from a painter to talk about his paintings
in class?

Moreover, at least in Israel, after a poet took the Ministry of Education
to court, for using his poem in a literature test, the law was changed so
any teacher, while teaching in any educational institute, can use any work
of art for his classes without asking for permission.

In a more personal note, I, as an artist, love to know someone teaches my
models. I feel honored and blessed by that. I gave, and give again, a
complete permission to teach any model of mine, give away any diagram of
mine to all your  students, friends and family, including third nephews,
neighbours and strangers on the subway.

Origami is about sharing, and not to be afraid if you violate or not some
(disputable) rights if you teach a model.

Best,
Ilan Garibi

אילן גריבי Ilan Garibi
Origami artist and designer