On 9/9/2017 8:06 AM, Andrew Hans wrote:
OK, now I'm really confused--(snip) ...I buy a book of someone's model or
models. I learn and fold
said model(s).  I like the model and want to share it with my fellow
folders. Why, (other than being polite) must I ask permission to teach it
to someone else at a convention?  The concept boggles the mind.

Andrew

If the model is from a published book, there would be far less likelihood that the creator/s would withhold permission. However, there may be grounds for concern not with the teaching, but with the handouts that may be used as part of the teaching session. It would be well and good if the material is photocopies of the relevant pages of the original book, made with the author's permission. I know of cases when the model being taught is obtained from digitally pirated origami publications, or learned from a video tutorial that was made without the creator's knowledge or consent. The teaching session is at times followed with the disclosure of the link where the pirated material can be illegally obtained.

Another situation is when someone offers to teach an unpublished/unreleased model without the creator's knowledge. This may happen when new work is made available to some trusted friends for test folding, but somehow fall into the hands of unintended persons.

These are just some of the situations I believe OUSA is guarding themselves against.

Ron