I started thinking about similarities between origami and music when it occurred to me that in popular music there are people who write songs and people who sing songs, and sometimes people do both but often they don't.

It seems to me that in origami, traditional models are like traditional songs -- people tend to learn them as children and they get passed along and preserved. Then there are the equivalent of singer/song-writers -- people who create models and write books (or, these days, do videos). But is there an origami equivalent of a singer who sings other people's songs in a way that makes them distinctly their own. I don't think so, but I wonder if there could be. On the other hand, would it be possible for someone to design a model that they couldn't fold well, but someone else could? That seems less likely to me, but maybe with tessellations, for example, it might be possible.

I haven't come to any grand conclusions, but I've found it fun to think about.

The issue of copyrights is a whole subject in itself that I try to stay away from if possible. :-)

Mike Naughton