-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Ernst de Haan
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2000 10:09 PM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: Re: Orion Primer

Hi all,

Okay, Magnus Stenman helped me out with this problem. The problem was
that the servlet was in the wrong directory in the .war file. It was
located under the root directory while it should have been under the
directory WEB-INF/classes in the .war.

So next challenge is getting the servlet to find the EJB Home. I spent
quite some time on this. If anyone is feeling enlightened, please look
into this and let us know. The updated files are online again:

 * Orion Primer
   http://www.znerd.demon.nl/orion-primer/

Ernst

Ernst de Haan wrote:
> [...]
> > I've followed the instructions and deleted/recreated everything 3
> > times.  I keep getting to the point where I type in (step 12 second
> > part):
> >
> > http://localhost:8080/orion-primer
> >
> > And just get a:
> >
> > "Document contained no data"
>
> Jason, first I suggest you upgrade to the latest version of Orion. There
> are multiple ways of doing that:
>
> * Download the orion-1.0rc1.zip but replace `rc1' with `rc2'
> * Auto-update using the command: java -jar autoupdate.jar
> * Replace your orion.jar with http://www.orionserver.com/orion/orion.jar
>
> Perhaps you should do a combination of the above.
> [ Question to the Orion team: What exactly is the recommended way to
> upgrade to the ever-changing `latest' version? :) ]
>
> Then concerning the problem you have: I had the same problem. So I
> upgraded using the rc2 download. Autodeployment went just fine. But when
> I pointed my browser to http://localhost:9092/orion-primer/ I got an
> exception that said there was an error instantiating the servlet. There
> was no extra information that allowed me to track the source of the
> problem.
>
> So I contacted Magic_EMC (Magnus Stenman) on the channel #orionserver or
> #java on EFnet (an IRC chat network). He said he would change the code
> so the complete stack trace would be printed in the log file
> (orion/application-deployments/orion-primer/application.log) But I had
> no luck autoupdating from my rc2.zip yet, so I haven't been able to
> check that the information now prints out.
>
> I currently get the following information printed in the application log
> file:
>
> 5/25/00 5:18 PM Started
> 5/25/00 5:20 PM orion-primer-web: Started
> 5/25/00 5:20 PM orion-primer-web: Servlet error
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Error instantiating default servlet
'hello.web.HelloServlet'
>         at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.rz(JAX, Compiled Code)
>         at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.qz(JAX, Compiled Code)
>         at com.evermind.server.http.dk.o7(JAX)
>         at com.evermind.util.e.run(JAX, Compiled Code)
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Ernst
>

> > >From netscape?
> >
> > I notice after building the packages with ant, the orion terminal says:
> >
> > Auto-deploying orion-primer...
> > Auto-deploying orion-primer-ejb.jar... done.
> > Auto-deploying /usr/share/orion/default-web-app...
> > Orion/1.0rc1 initialized
> >
> > Then just after hitting localhost:8080/orion-primer in netscape I see in
> > the orion terminal window:
> >
> > Auto-deploying Orion Primer Web Application
> >
> > But nothing happens??  Any hints (I've been trying for 3 days to get the
> > orion-primer up and running)??  I'm to my limits and am about to give up
> > on the Orion server and try another one...
> >
> > any help would be appreciated!
> >
> > -Thanks, Jason
> >
> > PS: Do I need a jndi.properties and if I do, where does it go and what

NO