-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Mateo
Torrealto
Sent: Wednesday, 22 November 2000 4:48 PM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: Christian Sell et al.... Re: Deploying a servlet ear, war: help
an oroin newbie

Christian Sell et al,

Thank you for your help.

WRT
"<aside> its always useful to describe WHAT error you
are getting </aside>"

Good point. I had a brain brownout.

The only error I got was from the browser.
The error was HTTP 500 - Internal server error
when I posted to
<form
action="/employee-app/com.objectgeneration.sample.EmployeeForm"
method="post">

and the error was also HTTP 500 when I posted to
<form action="/employee-app" method="post">

I tried your first suggestion, i.e., I posted with
<form
action="/employee-app/servlet/com.objectgeneration.sample.EmployeeForm"
method="post">
with the existing setup and I get....
You guessed it HTTP 500...

That is okay at least I got the Post format correct.
So in additon to the problem you helped me with... I
have yet another problem....what a mess I am.

On to your second suggestion. I see that you changed
the name of the servlet, but I am not sure what else
you did.... nor am I sure what is different other than
the shorter name, i.e., I already had a servlet
mapping. But just in case I am an idiot (which I wont
rule out). I followed what you wrote to a tee.
[opps I just saw that i forgot to include my servlet
mapping.... sorry another brain brownout.]

BTW I also tried someone elses idea of what the
servlet mapping should look like, and it did not seem
to work. I think I don't have the post correct for a
corresponding servlet mapping.

What would be the post for that mapping?
i.e., what would the post look like for the mapping
that you suggested??

I think it would look like
<form action="/employee-app" method="post">
or maybe
<form action="/employee-app/" method="post">

I get a 500 with both of the above.

I seems like Orion is finding things okay because
I get this message when it starts up....

Auto-unpacking
D:\Personal\Proto\CodeGen\Employee3\rel\employee-app.ear...
done.
Auto-unpacking
D:\Personal\Proto\CodeGen\Employee3\rel\employee-app\employee-app
-web.war... done.
Auto-deploying employee-app (Assembly had been
updated)...
Orion/1.3.8 initialized

Again it works with the version that I installed in
the default web application directory.

The trusty tried and true....

<form
action="/servlet/com.objectgeneration.sample.EmployeeForm"
method="post">

The above works.

Christian.... thank you for your help.

--- Mateo Torrealto

BTW I used ant to build the orion-primer and then some
other stuff. I am new to Ant, but I dig it. It is like
make but easy and geared towards java.

> >From: "Christian Sell"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: Orion-Interest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Re: Deploying a servlet ear, war: help an
> oroin newbie
> >Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:22:39 +0100
> >
> ><aside>
> >its always useful to describe WHAT error you are
> getting
> ></aside>
> >
> >from looking at your files, I see you are missing a
> servlet-mapping entry
> >in
> >web.xml. In your call to the default-web-app, you
> use the
> >(orion-preconfigured) servletmapping to /servlet.
> Now you can do the same
> >when calling into your new webapp, by saying
> >
> ><form
>
>action="/employee-app/servlet/com.objectgeneration.sample.EmployeeForm">
> >method="post">
> >
> >(note the "/servlet/" in there), or you can add a
> servlet mapping like the
> >following (note that I've also assigned a shorter
> servlet name):
> >
> ><servlet>
> >      <servlet-name>EmployeeForm</servlet-name>
> >

><servlet-class>com.objectgeneration.sample.EmployeeForm</servlet-class>
> ></servlet>
> ><servlet-mapping>
> >       <servlet-name>EmployeeForm</servlet-name>
> >        <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
> ></servlet-mapping>

<servlet-name>com.objectgeneration.sample.EmployeeForm