Your <web-resource-collection> is a bit wrong (I think).

Try this instead:

          <web-resource-collection>
              <web-resource-name>LoginTrigger</web-resource-name>
              <description>LoginTrigger</description>
              <url-pattern>/path/to/protected/resources</url-pattern>

<url-pattern>/another/path/to/protected/resources</url-pattern>
              <http-method>GET</http-method>
              <http-method>POST</http-method>
          </web-resource-collection>

At least this is how I do it, and it works for me :-)

Espen