sorry for the delay, I'll try and explain it again:

let's say I (Juan) am a bean developer. Let's say you (Eric) are the
application assembler, and let's say Lauren Commons is the deployer.

I build a bean. I package the bean in a jar, then pass it on to you. It has
some(but not all) of the info needed in ejb-jar.xml . So far it's completly
portable across servers.

You pick up my bean, add a few of your own, and repackage the .jar . You
touch ejb-jar.xml to match your assembly needs(As an example, you want to
mark some methods as TX_MANDATORY). You put the .jar in an .ear with the
rest of the application modules, and application.xml. This is still PORTABLE
across servers (As all in the spec).

Now... deployment.
A: simple deployment

Lauren takes your ear and uses a deploy tool to install the app on a given
server. She defines ejb-ref bindings
runs required SQL scripts in the DB, maps the security to a given domain
etc. To store all of these data(which is server DEPENDANT), the app server
creates some files. The app is deployed.

B: pre-deployment

Deployment is in the corporate HQ of HAL, Inc. If you fuck up there, you're
toast.
Lauren works with a sturdy, fast server called orion. Regretably, it doesn't
include a deploy tool (no, deploytool doesn't work... yet), so she wants to
pre-deploy as much as possible about this app in order to have less work to
do in the final deployment. So she deploys her app in a test machine.
orion-xxxxxx.xml files are created. How does she use these files? She
REPACKAGES the App, storing the new files alongside its counter-part
(orion-application.xml and application.xml go in the same dir), except in
the case of ejb-jar.xml, which goes in an orion directory inside the ejb
jar. This app is still portable across servers, but it contains now some
information on how to deploy on orion-servers. The same process could be
done for J2EERI and WLS 6.0, making the actual deployment very accesible.

When Lauren deploys this modified .ear, orion will find the orion-xxx files
inside the ear, and instead of creating deployment files from scratch, using
defaults, it will use the in-ear files to create the actual,
$orion\application-deployment resident, orion-xxxxxx.xml files.

I sure do hope this helps...

JP

PS: Lauren... may I stick my tongue in your ear?