-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Michael Quinn
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2001 2:52 AM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: RE: Benchmarks should be better

Just a little update..
I have completed benchmarks for the initial apache default index.html.en
with 4 different http servers on Redhat 6.2 with AMD Thunderbird 650 and
128MB Ram.
Apache 1.3.14
Tomcat 3.2
Weblogic 5.1
Orion 1.4.5

I couldn't believe my eyes when Orion served the static html faster than all
of them (Beating apache by about a 30% margin using 20 threads with 5
sockets per thread.  Another amazing thing was resource usage..  The highest
CPU Usage I saw from Orion during the test was a mere 30 percent.  If that
is not a convincing factor, then I don't know what is.

I still have some concerns about the security of orion (running on port 80
as root), and Apache is by nature a more memory intensive application.  It
uses a multi-process -vs- orion's multithreaded technique.  Each process
uses a few megs of memory, so for a large request base, apache will need
more memory so it isn't getting page faults all over the place. ( I am also
running oracle on this box which uses tonnes of memory as many know )
I'll slap in another 128M and see what happens.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Michael Quinn
Software Engineer