From: Jeff Schnitzer
To: Orion-Interest
Sent: 2/17/01 4:25 AM
Subject: RE: ms access & Orion?

>From: Joseph B. Ottinger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
>Why do you say "pity?" (I'm assuming you don't mean "piety" here.) Why
>should it be open source? Do you think you can apply patches
>faster than
>the Orion team? (I don't think I could, nor do I think you

For me, the value of source is not that I would be able to fix bugs -
although I might very well be able to do so.  The real value is that
source code substitutes reasonably well for documentation.

Here's a hypothetical exception for you:

com.evermind.server.rmi.OrionRemoteException: CrypticMessage
        at something.you.recognize.if.you.Are.lucky()
        at com.evermind.server.http.d3.sw(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.d3.su(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.ef.s1(JAX)
        at com.evermind.server.http.ef.do(JAX)
        at com.evermind.util.f.run(JAX)

We've probably all experienced this at least once.  Probably it was a
silly mistake in the deployment descriptor, but the error shows up as an
exception in the wrapper or somewhere else.  I know I've seen posts to
this list of exceptions which were obfuscated all the way up to the
throw statement.  Rare, but annoying as all hell.

I've spent a lot of time in trial and error when a quick glance at the
source code would have answered my question.  Nothing documents like the
code.

I've even found the JDK source to be necessary - I had to comb through
the RMI-IIOP source code to figure out what the error codes I was
getting meant.    Using RMI-IIOP is like using Orion, but without the
(usually) verbose error messages and support community.  :-(

>it, and their model fits them. Going open source means that they get
>relegated to supplying services only, which may indeed be
>profitable, but
>is profit the only motive? (I say no, because if it were, they'd sell
>Orion for more money.)

I should point out that shipping source does not mean the product has to
be free.  Resin is a good example.

It does open up the opportunity for competitors to see potential trade
secrets.  I don't know what black magic is under the covers, so I have
no idea if this is a concern.  Given how far ahead of the pack Orion is
regarding the emerging j2ee specs, I suspect it might be.

Personally, I've never seen a development tool or library documented
sufficiently well that I didn't feel a need for source code.  I *hate*
trial-and-error programming, but it always consumes an inordinate amount
of my development time.  Believe me, I read manuals cover-to-cover, but
even the good ones haven't stood up under fire.  And the bad ones have
just been plain wrong :-)

I'm happy to continue using Orion, even without source code, mostly
because I've already gotten over the worst of the learning curve.  But
there were times when I would have jumped on JBoss in a second if it
supported EJB2.0.  I wonder how many people who don't need the new spec
features or have bigger pocketbooks have bailed because of documentation
issues, and I wonder if shipping the source would be a quick
half-solution to this problem.

Jeff