i've experience similar issues with orion 1.4.7 and
saxon 6.2.1.

if you update the versions of xerces to 1.3 and xalan
to 2.0, you will get the MethodNotFound error when
doing any javax.xml package calls. only way i got
around it was:

1. remove jaxp.jar from the orion dir
2. open up xalan.jar and remove all the javax.xml classes

additionally, we use UTF-8 encoding on all of XML/XSLT
files to support localization. if you set the default-charset in
the global-web-applicaiton.xml to be UTF-8 it will not work
as it complains about unrecognized UTF-8 characters in the
XML files. hoewever, the second you remove the default-charset
it works perfectly.

everything i've mentioned was never a problem until 1.4.7. none
of our code has changed and it never had an issue with the
default-charset,
jaxp, or xalan/xerces.

ted rice