This actually sounds like a good setup for what you want to do.

I have setup many site for non-profits with a setup similar to what you are
doing.

Using Linux in such an environment is a great idea because you can set it up
like a hands off appliance, and it is very cost effective.

you could actually get by with less then a gig of HD space but the more the
better.

as far as RAM 64-128 meg has work fine for me even on busy sites. 256 meg to
1+ gig is great but not generally necessary for small sites.

Get the new sun JDK and not IBM's as IBM's is prone to crash.

Use the newest version of Orion if you are going to be doing any EJB 2.0
experimenting.

Have fun!!!