You can place your orion-*.xml files alongside their *.xml counterparts.
(eg, principals.xml and orion-application.xml alongside application.xml).
Note though that if the application has already been deployed, then these
files won't be copied over the existing ones. They're only used in the case
of a 'fresh install'.