I'm in the same boat. JBoss didn't work for us, too slow.
JRun is crap. So we are moving to Borland (Inprise).

I used IAS in a project last year that never got deployed. I thought it was
great.
Very fast, Built on a true CORBA foundation, and very, I mean VERY good
support.

I have not yet ported our current system from Orion to BAS (Borland
Application Server),
to get pa performance comparison.
I will be doing that in a couple of weeks. I'll post when I get results.