From: calvin matthews [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2001 4:10 AM
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: RE: Inprise AppServer vs Orion

Hi,

I have evaluated a number of application servers and I can honestly say that
Borland IAS was the server that I recommended NOT using in any
circumstances.

In its favour it has good support from a big company, There is no need to
restart server when deploying components (unlike a lot of servers). It
implements load balancing and clustering for scalability and has reasonably
good administration console/GUI deployment tools. Orions tools are a bit
quirky and support is non-existent.

However, it doesn't support EJB 1.1 standard enterprise archives (EAR files)
or web archives (WAR files). This increases the overhead of deploying JSP
and servlets. Security is implemented as a separate add-on product,
increasing the cost of implementing any EJB standard security. It uses the
Visigenics ORB to implement the naming service. This means that if more than
one naming service is running on the same network then clients may get
confused about which naming service is used to find objects and there is no
guarantee that the naming service it goes to is the one that knows about the
objects you want. This results in components appearing to disappear
intermittently. One solution is to run one naming service for all users, but
stops developers, testers and live systems from being completely separated.
It's expensive. It's priced per CPU with no developer incentive. It is slow.
Even starting the server is slow. And Orion does not have these issues.

Hope this helps.

Calvin