the content / production of the site.

- The site IS down now, I'm not sure why. It seems to me Joe's machine has
fallen over but we'll know when we get back. Meanwhile there is an archive
of all content up to March 18th kindly hosted at www.theculprit.com

- There ARE moves in progress to upgrade the site. As Hani said in a
previous email it currently runs on lots of OpenSymphony technologies (
http://www.opensymphony.com - see <gratuitous-OpenSymphony-plug> at the end
of this email) like SiteMesh, OSCache and Clickstream. I'm in the process of
upgrading it to use OSContent so we'll have a fully fledged CMS with
community features to boot. This will take a week or two at the least.

THE PROBLEM:
- The above measures are purely technical and won't help the Orion community
in and of themselves. OrionSupport's biggest problem so far has been GETTING
PEOPLE TO CONTRIBUTE. JoeO says this better than I could in his rant
http://www.theculprit.com/www.orionsupport.com/articles/vision-2.html .

BASICALLY if noone contributes the site will continue to move ahead at it's
trickling pace.

- HOWEVER if lots of people take 5 minutes to note down the problem they
just solved, the bug they worked around, their expertise on a particular
area, their knowledge of using Orion with software X - we can really produce
a very useful support resource very fast indeed. Keep reading for how you
can help.

THE SOLUTION:
I suggest we move discussion of this off the list (the last 48 hours has
driven me nuts with the lack of Orion questions and the volume of "me too,
Orion support sucks, I'm complaining and not doing anything about it"
emails. If you don't like it, join those who are trying to do something
about it!

I've set up an egroup (still can't bring myself to call it a Yahoo! Group
yet) for discussing it here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orionsupport

The manifesto of the group is:
"A group for the authors and users of OrionSupport (
http://www.orionsupport.com ) to discuss content needed, moves ahead etc.
NOTE: This is not a group for people looking for support for Orion. See
http://www.orionserver.com for that"

I hope you'll all join up and that together we can make OrionSupport an even
better resource for the community.

-mike

<gratuitous-OpenSymphony-plug>
If anyone else has some spare time and wants to help out the most advanced
Open Source J2EE project out there, OpenSymphony is it ;) Check it out at
http://www.opensymphony.com , help by downloading, using, testing,
developing, documenting or even just suggesting ideas - let me know where
you can help!

For an example site running with ALL the OS technologies on Orion (OSContent
for content management, community, user management, SiteMesh for layout,
OSCache for speed, Formtags, OSCore for functionality / properties /
personalisation) see http://ausralia.internet.com

(This plug is sheerly to show off the technology, not for the extra page
views - it's Australian new so who is likely to be interested anyway ;))
</gratuitious-OpenSymphony-plug>