I have discovered a neat way to have my cake and eat it too.

The problem: Orion is configured (via an include in the jar file) to use crimson. Crimson doesn't support schema and adding xerces to the lib directory makes no difference at all. I didn't want to hack the orion.jar file as this will be wiped out the next time I upgrade.

The solution: Download the latest xerces.jar from http://xml.apache.org and replace it in the orion directory. Next replace the crimson.jar file in the orion directory with the one attached to this message.

Voila!

All I did was make a crimson.jar file that contains a manifest file with an include for xerces.jar and two JAXP config files that setup xerces as the default JAXP parser.

Really orionserver should probably just come configured to use the latest xerces anyway but until that time, here is a relatively elegant work-around.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Simon.

crimson.jar