Hello,
I also found setting the Min and Max JVM memory
settings (–xms####M and xmx####M) greatly
improved performance.

Here is another JVM trick I used that also helped
- set the NEW GENERATION memory allocation
higher... the switch is -xmn####M . This helps
tune the JVM garbage collection and scavenger
frequency to ensure discarded objects are removed
efficiently without unnecessarily halting the
system for a gc priority thread.

I used -xmn512M and the system flies with no
hang-ups.

-Josh