resend to list

-----Original Message-----
From: Rabi Satter
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 8:24 AM
To: 'Orion-Interest'
Subject: RE: I think, I will start a support site too....

I usually don't step into these times of discussions but I must object to
your statement about sites going down. In the bad old days before the web,
client/server, etc. a system manager would be fired for having a system go
down as many times as this list and the sites you mentioned have. It is time
the IT world stops saying gee that's life stuff doesn't work every now and
then. In the mainframe/minicomputer world 99.99999% up time is the norm.
That is what the IT world needs to have as a goal 100% reliable.

The list reliability is very poor even by Internet standards.  Simply moving
the list to a list service would solve the issue once and for all if
Ironflare would do that the list would be stable. Having the list stable is
the first step to projecting a sense of support and stability of Ironflare.
That would stop the complaints about support. Heck if Ironflare [hell I
would do] take about an hour to setup a list on the list services this issue
would die. Secondly, spending a week or less to build a portal site and have
it hosted at tier1 or tier2 web hosting companying would handle the minimum
that Ironflare's owners wish to put out on support. Total cost to Ironflare
probably less than $2k a year or the revenue from the sale of one copy of
Orion.