Lachezar -
One thing you might try (at least for testing purposes) is to move up to 1.5.4 - I do
see
passivation in this version running an example similar to yours and it doesn't run out
of memory.
Although I don't quite understand how max-instances,instance-cache-timeout, and
pool-cache-timeout
fit together, try varying settings on those parameters (in 1.5.4) and see how that
works for you.

Cheers
Ray