I think stable versions are declared when a version has been out for a while
and doesn't do things like blow up unexpectly. Many people will run the
development versions of orion on production boxes, since they provide many
bugfixes over the last known 'stable' version. Of course, this is assuming
you stay away from features which aren't necessarily as stable as the rest
of the server (eg, you could use 1.5.4 and stay away from any n-m problems).
1.5.5 will be out soon (not a matter of months), but in the meantime I'd
strongly recommend you use 1.5.4 rather than 1.5.2, as it has very many
bugfixes and enhancements.

There's no correlation between version numbers and development vs stable
releases.