Returning to the discussion of 1QSb, Russ Gmirkin
wrote ...

>     To my mind, a title "Messiah of Aaron and Israel" -- referring to a
> single individual -- makes no sense.  It just seems unintelligible and
> self-contradicting, on a common sense level.  Where, in the HB or the
Qumran
> corpus (excluding the phrase in question) is Aaron synonymous or
> interchangeable with Israel?  I just don't consider it a serious
possibility,
> but perhaps this is a mistake on my part - my approach here is somewhat
> superficial (as I indicated in my original posting).

I realize a subsequent post of yours, Russ, seems to have
modified or backed off somewhat from your position here.
Herb Basser's post was interesting and valuable and indeed
called attention to new information not previously emphasized,
giving comparative parallels which increase the impression of
plausibility of a single-figure reading of 'messiah of Aaron and
Israel'. To those posts I can add: note the use in CD itself:
'he (God) turned his attention to them (the remnant of Israel)
and caused to grow out of *Israel and Aaron* a root of planting ...'
(CD 1.7).

Here there is a single 'planted root' which grows out of
'Israel and Aaron'.

The expression 'Israel and Aaron' does not require or imply
that Aaron is synonymous or interchangeable with 'Israel' any
more than 'Ephraim and Judah' as the constituents of Israel
require those two terms (Ephraim and Judah) to be
synonymous or interchangeable.

>     In 1QSa we have references to both a Messiah (ii 12) -- the priestly
> Messiah? -- and a "Messiah of Israel" (ii 14, 20).  It seems to me first
of
> all that if a high priest who is "Messiah of Aaron and Israel" were to
have
> his title foreshortened, it would be to "Messiah of Aaron"; it is
difficult
> to understand a foreshortening in the other direction.

Possible mistaken assumed false premise. Why assume anything
was 'shortened'? Why not 'expanded'? Another point: your rendering
in English of 'Messiah' should be looked at closely and questioned;
it may be tendentious. This has been a point made by Fitzmyer.
We are so conditioned anachronistically by the equation 'Christ' is
'Messiah' that a simple 'anointed one' seems to be naturally rendered
as capital-M 'Messiah' with all the freight and baggage that
term has come to carry. Yet this may be Christian anachronism
rather than defensible in terms of the Hebrew texts themselves.
I think 'anointed one of Israel and Aaron' is simply a way of
speaking of a high priest--in CD, an eschatalogical high priest
who is expected to save Israel--but there is no evidence that this
expression in the Qumran texts refers to the Davidic messiah
as we think of it. I don't mean to express this dogmatically and
would be open to a good argument establishing this point, but
that is how I see it at present.

> Secondly, in 1QSa ii
> 13-15 we first have "the chief priest of all the congregation of Israel"
who
> enters, with his colleagues, and "After", the Messiah of Israel.  Again,
in
> ii 17-21, first the priest blesses firstfruit of bread and wine, and
> "Afterwards" the Messiah of Israel.  In both cases these read best as
> distinct actions by different figures IMO, the text regulating the
sequence
> of events.

There are syntactic issues here; issues of rendering the sense of
the Hebrew.

> need not get into specific historical context here.  The main thing is
that
> 1QSa has very strong affinities with 1QM ii-ix, especially column ii, and
> should be interpreted in that light.  And in 1QM ii-ix there appears a
> separation of powers between the high priest now presiding in Jerusalem's
> temple and the army commanders in the field.  I think 1QSa also reflects
this
> partial separation of temple and military command and that the Messiah of
> Israel of 1QSa to refer to the lay military commander.

(I have not quoted much of Gmirkin's preceding argument leading up
to this for space considerations, which may have omitted some of the
strength of his argument. Anyone seriously studying this issue should
of course consult Gmirkin's full post.)
The problem I see with this argument is that there is no evidence
the 'anointed one of Israel' is a military commander,
instead of the high priest himself.
The military commanders, including the 'prince of the congregation'
(i.e. the 'davidic messiah', as we think of it) are in 1QSb, among
the chiefs of the tribes who are subordinate to the high priest. In other
texts one of those military commanders becomes a prominent
personal figure, the Prince of the Congregation, the Branch of David.
But in 1QSb this distinct personal figure has not emerged. He is
simply among the nameless, non-individualized military commanders
who are subject to the high priest, the 'anointed one of Israel'.

Greg Doudna

For private reply, e-mail to "Greg Doudna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>