Becareful with that, in Malaysia programming will not be introduced until
you go college/university(got a feeling it is the same for other country),
it is not even teached fully in form 6, if at all. So even we know
programming, we need a cert, in comes the question by who, what syllabus
etc. Because public uni tends to be from Form 6, where as most in private
college, tend to continue from diploma or foundation which might not cover
programming.

Unless there is change, that again is another rant, this time by Boh in the
mailing list not long ago.

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Chen Ruo Fei <crf2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> libraries and frameworks with little understanding on what's going on
> behind. The market for non-CS camp programmers is expanding in rapid speed,
> thanks to today's technologies such as Android, iPhone, HTML5, and cloud
> computing. It is kinda sad for me to see the younger generation of
> prospective CS students having too much attention focused on developing cool
> (insert-buzzword)-Apps, rather that the CS behind that makes it possible.
> Now I'm not saying that developing apps is not important, but I would prefer
> programmers to also look at the CS behind the apps -  the programs that
> power Android, the browsers, the cloud, and so on.
>
> Also, technology is constantly changing. The buzzwords today might fade
> away quickly in few years time and replaced by new buzzwords, but the maths
> and theories behind the technologies will not change much. So a programmer
> who has solid CS knowledge can easily adapt the technologies that based on
> new theories, while the non-CS programmers will always need to wait for the
> CS programmers to rebuild new frameworks and make use of the new APIs.
>
> Anyway, regardless of the importance of CS, it's kinda sad that in Malaysia
> there is almost no job opportunity for CS programmers AFAIK. Most Malaysian
> companies that I seen focus on using existing frameworks to build software
> that matter to businesses. There is nothing wrong with doing so, my point is
> just that it has very little to do with CS. If I know any Malaysia company
> that actually makes use of (non-theoretical) CS, I would probably jump ship
> to work for that company. :P
>
> I think the problem of CS getting further away from programmers is also
> similar to the engineering field. Most people with engineering degree today
> do not work as a true engineer. Well their job titles still write
> "engineer", but most of them don't really do the kind of fundamental
> engineering, such as designing machines or building megastructures, that
> make our modern lives possible. Most engineers also make use of the works of
> a small number of "core" engineers who really make use of the engineering
> knowledge. So while deeper engineering knowledge still matters today, it
> matter less for majority of the engineers today. (disclaimer: I have little
> understanding on what engineers really do, that's just my observation from
> my friends graduating from engineering, and I may be wrong)
>
> just my two cents. Btw even though I attended some CS courses, most of my
> CS knowledge come from self teaching.
>

> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Raja Iskandar Shah <
> rajaiskand...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ahaks...
>>
>> for a mathematician a simpler answer is n*(n+1)/2
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 1:57 PM, darXness darXness <darxl...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> math n CS...
>>> IMHO,without math,programming cant go to the next
>>> part.if,else,while,and most of the programming part is derived from
>>> math.and we actually learn that in school.but under Math,not