On 13/03/2011 8:43 p.m., zarul shahrin wrote:
Most of them are preloaded with FeeDos so that the computer price can be reduced by as much as 1K? Unlike corporate users, most of the home users don't give a crap whether their OS is legal or pirated, they just want something cheap (This is especially in Malaysia).

The FreeDOS machines usually are a lower price, but not much lower when compared to a machine with similar specs and licensed Windows.

Even when it is lower, the savings are nowhere near 1K. The licensed Windows 7 Home Basic only costs RM350 if you buy it separately.

I bought a new computer this weekend. It came with licensed Windows, but I chose it based on specifications and price. I couldn't get a FreeDOS machine with the same specs for a lower price.

If you think people will install Ubuntu instead of Windows just because it gives them a "legal" OS, then you are wrong. Unless Ubuntu will let them play the latest Call of Duty, Crysis or whatever game there is and let them easily have the same setup for Word processing as in their office (for those non-gamers), otherwise no.

You're right. People don't care about those laws. I would even go a little further and say that some of those laws are unjust and immoral. Modern distributions have more than just free licensing, though, and Linux /is/ better than Windows. I think we've had that discussion many times already. That's why we're in this group :)

Microsoft has also damaged their customer base. Their negligence in handling malicious software threats, and stories about systems becoming unusable or shutting down every two hours after an update all work against them.

I'm not much of a gamer, but I think that a lot of those games can be played in Linux using Wine. I can play World of Warcraft using Wine without any special setup and I know someone else in our KK-LUG who has played Starcraft with Wine. There are also some companies starting to develop software that runs natively in Linux.

All of those concerns, plus some others, are repeated when considering proprietary office software, but OpenOffice.org / LibreOffice is really high-quality software.

We're not starting from scratch here. Average people (ie: not nerds like us) have even heard a few of the horror stories about "pirated" software and the success stories about Open Source Software. It's in the mainstream media already. This is a good time and place to give consumers the option.

-- Ghodmode

Best Regards,

Zarul Shahrin