On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 18:17 +0000, Robert Osfield wrote:
> The most flexible approach would be to use a Camera that moves over
> the 2D subgraph using the view frustum to clip out what you don't need
> to see on screen.  The Camera could be a straight HUD camera and
> render on top or a RTT Camera, the later would have the added
> flexibility of rendering onto 3D objects, but this is really an
> orthogonal issue, once you have a Camera for rendering you scrollable
> view you are done. For the scrolling you could either update the view
> matrix or the projection matrix, personally I'd update the view matrix
> as one can then think of scolling as panning across a scene and even
> use camera manipulators for it

Well, I must admit that a lot of what you're saying here I'm familiar
with in concept but not in implementation. For example, I've never
worked directly with setting Clipping Planes in OpenGL, and I don't
think interfacing with them is non-trivial. Hell, I wouldn't even know
where to begin to find out how to calculate the necessary A, B, C, and D
values for my 2D Orthographic projection, nor do I have any
understanding of the complications with regards to how a clipping pane
is affected by the current matrices and how they are affected by state
(there are some previous posts on this in my archives).

Looks like I may need to go back to formula and review some core
concepts...