Hi Robert,

Yes, the live bootable CD is a very interesting concept.  I made
something like that based on Knoppix years ago, that proof of concept
used Mesa IIRC. It was like October 2002 and primarily a demo of VTP
w/ my Eldorado Springs database.  Have to find the .iso, rediscover
what I actually did back then.

More recently, a interesting project making progress in exactly this
direction is myOS http://www.geocities.com/ze_aks/myos.html  It's a
bootable GL demo system that can fit on a 180MB miniCD.  The versions
I find most interesting are v1.1.9 or v1.0.3, which run X-less GL for
a super low-overhead environment.  Those versions of myOS use the
SciTech SNAP/MGL drivers
http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/dev/mgl_home.html

cheers
-- mew