Hi all,

I have tried to resist to reply to the "Too much support" thread for over a week now, but now there's just something I'd like to share on a related topic.

I'm a total newbe to OSG and as a newbe I hunger for info. Here's a few things that I am really missing, and I think most of these things can be done by the community rather than Robert:

1) There are lots of excellent example programs provided with OSG. However, I sometimes find it hard to find the example I need to study to solve my newbe questions. What I'd really like to see on the wiki is a list of all the example programs with ditto summary of what features they demonstrate and techniques used.

2) Summary and detailed documentation of the tools that come with VPB.

3) For all OSG classes, I'd love to see more high-level class information (e.g. purpose, etc.). For certain classes that implements special programming techniques, it would be wonderful if the documentation included a link to external resources explaining the technique in general. Simple example:

Current documentation of osg::observer_ptr:
/** Smart pointer for observed objects, that automatically set pointers to them to null when they deleted.
*/

...could be changed to:
/** Weak pointer for observed objects, that automatically set pointers to them to null when they deleted.
 *  @see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_reference
 */

Documentation submissions could be marked with "doc-only" or similar topic tags.

These suggestions have arisen from my own personal needs for documentation, so I am sure that other things can be done as well. I, for one, intend to add more documentation as I start to figure things out, and I hope other will do the same, both newbies and experts alike. IMHO I believe that an improved documentation can also help reduce the general support load on Robert, or at least facilitate newbies in asking more intelligible questions.

After subscribing to osg-users for a few weeks, I know that there are lots of users out there that know an awful lot about undocumented OSG tools/examples/features/classes. I hope I have managed to convince at least some of you to participate in a "community documentation initiative".

Best regards,
John

believed to be clean.