Hi Robert,

UnRefImageDataAfterApply is off by default.  But the Optimizer by
default with switch it on.  You can just call the Optimizer with the
settings you require rather than patch it afterwards back to what it
was originally...

Hmm, interesting, I can't spot any place in our framework where we call the Optimizer on a loaded model, yet the unref setting is clearly on. I'll dig around more.

If you wanted to really dig into this topic I guess you could replace
the osg::Image by a "ProxyImage" class that allows the imagery to be
reloaded if its needed later.  Such a class doesn't exist right now,
and it wouldn't be entirely straight forward to implement.

Yep, that's what I had in mind. I'll put that on my "to-do" list... Do those things ever get shorter? :-)

Thanks for the insight.

J-S