Hi Robert,

Could it be that the models have already been optimized then saved to
.ive or .osg and then you load these optimized files with unref
enabled?

Yep, that was it. Darn.

Anyways, I'll probably add settings in our framework to control this on a per-model and global scope, so that we won't be dependent on how the model was constructed - in some apps we need the image data to stay, but in most we can gladly let it be unreffed without problems.

In nearly a decade of hacking on the OSG my todo list has only ever
got longer, or stabilised for a brief while...

It was a rhetorical question, but I know how you feel :-)

J-S