Hi Mattias,
I have been meaning to do exactly what you have done, but have not gotten
around to it. According to Microsoft, if your libraries have only plain C
interfaces, and don't use STL internally, then you can get away with mixing
libraries from different versions of their compiler. When I quickly looked
over the third party libs for OSG they all seemed to be C (but I could have
easily missed something), except for maybe the input device one, which we
don't use, so we just used the VS8 third party libs while building OSG for
VS9. But I have been meaning to get around to building everything for VS9,
just to be safe. Are your binaries built with _SCL_SECURE=0 and
_HAS_ITERATOR_DEBUGIING=0? This would only apply to C++ third party libs,
but as J-S pointed out, it does cause binary incompatibilities, similar to
those caused by mixing /MT and /MD binaries. We turn these two features off
for performance reasons, and we recently discovered that boost 1.36.0 now
hardwires them to off - so anyone linking with this version (or I assume a
later version as well) of boost would need to build OSG and their own code
with these two features disabled as well.