David,

Interesting. I'll read some of the papers on this later this week when
I have some more time. Based on my cursory glance at the wikipedia
entry on 'deferred rendering,' am I understanding correctly that
what's primarily done is to use the Z-buffer to cut down on the amount
of geometry that has to be lit? If so, I think that's pretty close to
the technique we're using currently. The scene is rendered with a
global light (the sun or moon), and then the individual lights are
additively blended into the scene with the depth test set to LEQUAL,
so any geometry discarded by the depth test won't be shaded. Am I
missing some other obvious benefit of deferred rendering? I do tend to
be a bit oblivious at times (especially this early in the morning...)

-Chris B