/W4 on windows is far from useless, and can often point out some pretty big
mistakes that the VS compiler just happens to find a way to take care of for
you (outside of the C/C++ standard).

I haven't built a newer version of OSG - my projects here are still relegated
to running 2.6.0 for the time being - so I don't know what kinds of warnings
are being generated currently. What are some of the dominant warning numbers
that are appearing?

I know C4251 can pop up a lot with DLL-based projects using STL, and is one of
the most annoying warnings, generally best attacked with a limited-scope (and
here, VS-conditional) pragma.

Matthew W Fuesz
Software Engineer Asc
Lockheed Martin STS