J-S,

/W4 is generally sufficient. I run all of my projects at warning level 4, and
effectively treat warnings as errors for my purposes. I don't enable /WX on the
off chance that I get some crazy warning that I can't suppress and isn't
meaningful in my application. I know of several such warnings for the linker
(which are VERY annoying, and generally only deal with debug info), though I
haven't actually come across any in the compiler.

I suppose some of the warnings that are suppressed by default could be
individually turned on if they were deemed beneficial, but this would require
sorting through the list of default-off warnings and deciding whether we want
each one on or off.

My standard Win32 compile options, as relating to warnings, are the following:
/D "_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE"
/D "_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS"
/D "_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE"
/W4

So, set at warning level 4 with all of the crazy warnings about MS replacement
of standard-C/C++ functions supressed.

Matthew W Fuesz
Software Engineer Asc
Lockheed Martin STS