Hi Paul,

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Paul Martz <pma...@skew-matrix.com> wrote:
> Will there be (or should there be) an "OSG-3" branch in svn to allow
> development to commence?

I think this is premature.  I'd rather see us highlight areas that
need research and then have a set of mini projects that go out scoping
these areas.  Once we've scoped out a bit more, perhaps written a few
"white papers" outlining what approach would be an ideal modern scene
graph then we could start discussing what exact should be in this next
gen scene graph and how we might work towards this, either evolving
the current code base or setting up a new sister project for an OSG-3
branch.

If we do go the OSG-3 branch route then we need to look at how to
maintain the two projects, for instance helping evolve the OSG-2
branch in such a way as in closes the gap to OSG-3 to make the leap
easier so that appliication developers currently working with OSG-2
won't be stuck.

Another approach all together would be to say just start a new next
gen scene graph project and not care what so ever about backwards
compatibility with the existing code base, and look for new users and
contributors to coalesce around it.  Such an approach would see a lot
of re-inventing the wheel, stuff like loaders and viewers that
constitute a great deal of effort and knowledge would be lost.

Personally I think a lot of the existing OSG code base can be carried
across to a next gen scene graph. There is also the community that is
one of our key assets is crucial - if you split the community between
existing and next gen scene graph efforts both would suffer.   The
easier porting from OSG-2.x to OSG-3.x is the quicker you'd be able to
migrate the community across to the new API, a challenge will be
marrying the needs of a next gen scene graph and ease of porting.

For starters I'd like to have a fair idea of what an ideal next gen
scene graph would look like so we can all subscribe to our final
destination, so we can all a tune to the same north barring.  Once we
get this common baring then when we start heading out along the
uncharted path with each daily engineering decisions we make from here
on out guided by this barring so that each day we get near to this
goal.

Lots of arm waving... of course... but now it's time to start thinking
about what we feel should go into this next gen scene graph - what
problems (i.e. what types of software/hardware) should it address,
then how might one address this disparate set of problems, what
existing examples can we learn from.

Perhaps we need to instigate a poll of the wider graphics community of
what they want from scene graphs in the next ten years, what software
they see being needed to be developed, what hardware/OS's they expect
to be of importance.  Once polled one could look for themes that can
be distilled into key deliverables that we can sign up to.

There is also scratching the itch - we just have to find things that
just are so compelling that we can't help ourselves - we just have to
tackle it, because it's fun to do and because in the end we can see it
being useful.  The OSG just started with a little itch... then kinda
got out of hand over the next decade.. :-)

I guess this last paragraph is suggesting to me that perhaps over
analysing this stuff is not what will get it done, it's going to be a
handful of engineers that just get to it and create the beginnings of
something beautiful.