Hi Sukender,

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Sukender <suky0...@free.fr> wrote:
> Sorry I came late, but did you try osgAL? I worked a bit on it and used osgAL
> on top of both OpenAL and OpenAL-Soft, and it worked very well. osgAL also
> contains OpenAL++, which is a layer ontop of OpenAL. That should be
> interesting to merge what you did with osgAL, isn't it?

I haven't tried osgAL.  My expectation is that work on refining osgAL
would lead to an osgAudio that could then be integrated with the core
OSG when it's ready.  I don't know how close this might be, and have
to defer to yourself and others working on it for information on how
close this point might be.  I would like an osgAudio to be
configurable with different backend audio libraries as well, to enable
better portability and flexibility with how end users set things up.

The ffmpeg audio requirements are a bit more modest than full OpenAL
integration, so doesn't directly push for us to integrate
osgAL/osgAudio right away.   The work I've done so far is to focus on
a the bare minimum functionality required to wire up an audio stream
read from a movie plugin to a mechanism for adding support for playing
it.  I certainly want this mechanism to be compatible with integration
with osgAL/osgAudio, but until osgAudio is in the core we can't target
just this as a solution.

The number of classes involved are pretty small, so I think we can
probably get away with a minimalist near-term solution.  Then once
osgAudio is ready for integration we can look to evolving things so
they naturally fit together, be this before or after 2.10.