2009/3/16 Roland Smeenk <osgfo...@tevs.eu>

> You mean forum posts like this???

We'll at least you have a name that others can get an idea of who you
are...  Most forum users don't to seem to have any human readable user name
at all, and don't both to sign their names.

Email/forum messages really aren't much different than other written forms
of communication, it's basic courtesy to actually sign what your write to
other people and really helps make written exchanges more civil.   It's a
sad fact that electronic community can lead to people becoming so lazy that
even basic courtesy is ignored, they might not mean to be rude but without
any attempt at communication at personal level is really hard sometimes not
to read into some posts that posts the author simply being a self-centered
and rude.

I raise this as an issue because with electronic communication unproductive
flame feast can easily erupt, it only takes one or two posts to come across
in an aggressive tone for replies to descend to the same level and so the
spiral of community descends.  If we can avoid the communication getting
impersonal in the first place then we stand a better chance of keeping
communication positive.

Sure there will always be some posters that some of the time will be
genuinely rude just because they are that type of person, or a normally good
natured person at the wrong time of day, this is part of life, none of us
are perfect.  You want these posts to stand out like a sore thumb, the
exceptions to the daily grind of life.  If most posts start sounding like
the author is not making any effort to be civil then it's hard to keep
general good natured tone up.