Hi Robert, all.

I think adding another approval system to let users approve that they have to
follow some kind of etiquette  wouldn't have big success. Users would just
click on  "Yes, I agree" as soon as they see that button. Hence, I am not sure
if this is needed at all.

However checking the users manually is doable at the current registration rates
(1-2 per day). Moderators (Roland) or admins (currently only me) could disable
users with not clear real names and first activate them after the name was
changed to something clearly. I could already start doing so with the current
users. Of course it would be cool if we could get maybe a volunteer  else for
that, so that there is always somebody who is able to do so. Technically this
would be little bit different, because I have to implement some kind of
synchronization between admins/moderators, so that they know which user is
currently being deactivated for the name issue and which not.

All this kind of forcing correct real name wouldn't however change the way how
users are posting. I think there is even a difference in the way of posting
between forum and mailing list users from the psychological point of view.
eMail feels like they are slower and not editable and hence communication is
get more informative. Forums are faster in use and postings could be edited and
hence the discussion there becames often a chat like and therefor users forget
to add signatures or even to say "Hello".

So, the problem of etiquette is hard to solve, because it depends only on the
users. As for the using real names, I think I could write some kind of a system
for the admins/moderators to manage users with non-informative real names.

The problem with the email addresses used as sender's email (default
osgfo...@tevs.eu) is hard to solve without making some changes also to the
mailing list itself, which is not doable for me. What I could try is to change
email header in the way, so that it looks like it was sent from the mail of the
user, however using default's forum email in the header. However, I am not sure
how mailman (osg's mailing list software) would react on this, because this is
actually a way how spammers handle.

Art