John Kelso wrote:
Below is from our sysadmin when I asked him about getting a newer version cmake.

Any comments, anyone?

I've seen several instances of the typical OSS "bigger, better, faster" mentality clashing with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality of the enterprise distros. It's kind of inevitable. On the other hand, without distros like Red Hat Enterprise, you'd never have any large businesses running Linux. There's just no way anyone could maintain any kind of large system environment if it changes major revisions every 4-6 months.

So far, I've been happy that OSG has kept support for CMake 2.4.5, which is the latest that we have available. If that's been broken, it just makes it harder for us to upgrade, at least until RHEL 6 is released next year (most likely my supervisor will elect to stick with 2.8 until then).

Running a private install out of a home directory is certainly possible, but it's not really compatible with the concept of an enterprise distro (it's kind of a hack, rather than an actual fix).

Can we really be the only site having this problem?

Take heart, you are not alone!  :-)

--"J"