Hi Vincent,

You don't need to assign a node ptr, as you can set the filename
against a child number that isn't yet loaded. i.e.

  plod->setFileName(0, "firstlod.ive");
  plod->setFileName(1, "secondlod.ive");

Typically I'd actually assign the first child as an straight subgraph
that is loaded along with the PageLOD itself, then the second child
(with index 1) is the one that is loaded on demand when the next up
level of detail is required.  This external subgraph which is stored
on disk will typically contain a Group and four PageLOD, each of which
will have it's first child already assigned as part of this external
file, and then it's second child the external file reference.  This is
repeat until you have the desired level of detail for the high rest
data you have.  This approach creates a balanced quad tree that is
perfect for real-time rendering.

Robert.