Himar Carmona wrote:
> time and with a "misery" knowledge about OSG (in comparison to yours)
> but with a desire to collaborate can do something. Perhaps commiting
> some docs or examples, correcting some bugs or simply with code
> review?

  Yes, yes and yes!

  One of the early projects I coordinated (that was never completed) was the
OSG "spelling
bee", an attempt to review all the code comments and fix obvious spelling and
grammar
errors. This can be done without necessarily knowing exactly how the code
works, as
typically you're just enforcing rules of grammar.

  A bigger project would be to go through parts of code that you ARE fairly
familiar with,
and try to expand/improve on the doxygen documentation. Many areas of the code
are
incompletely documented, and documentation is one of the most frustrating
barriers to new
OSG users.

  Bug fixes are always welcomed, but they tend to be of the form of "I found
this problem
and I already fixed it". Anything larger than that is usually more of a
feature/functionality request. I seem to recall that Robert isn't keen on issue
trackers,
so I don't know if we have an ongoing list of things wanting for user
assistance.

  There is ALWAYS room for code testing during a release cycle, or even for
patch
submissions. If someone posts code to osg-submissions that is something you
think you
could test, grab the files, look them over, apply them to your source tree and
try it out.
I'm sure code review comments at this stage would be a valuable step.

  (For example, I just dumped a heap of submissions on the osg-submissions list
yesterday
that might benefit from wider testing before Robert looks at them.)

>     Perhaps there are some people in the same situation like me
> wanting to offer their help but too "shy" to take a step forward. And
> perhaps two or three people like myself working together temporally in
> a little parcel of the field could let the synergy starting to grow.
> Don't know, but for sure, there are many people in the same situation
> thats only need a concrete task (and affordable to us) to step
> forward. Any volunteer more? :)

  I agree completely. If we give users somewhere to start, they can grow to more
familiarity and capacity in the future. Oh, and being more familiar with OSG
helps YOU too!