I found some posts later this morning:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?t=3004
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/htdig.cgi/osg-submissions-openscenegraph.org/2009-June/004578.html
(kinda dumb it won't let my post URLs until I have 2 posts .... arg)

It seams pretty informative and more attuned to what I am trying to do.  I
finally just got it all compiling and working.  Tomorrow I will start examining
the code, tweaking things, and really playing with it.  I am fairly confident
this will be good enough to get me going.

Overall I am not too worried about understanding the nodes etc and how they go
together right now.  For the most part I won't need to change that part of the
existing code.  What I do have to do is take the existing drawing code as it
works under a Windows project and shoe-horn it into a QT project.

Most likely this is all overkill for our simple 2D map.  I am just excited
since the more I pick up in the graphics area, the more options I have for work
here at my job.

Thanks for the help guys.