On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 4:45 AM, Robert Osfield
<robert.osfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> o Would it be possible to add a Cmake script that we could run that finds
> the local changed files and reports these to the user and is able to zip
> these files up into a single package with the approate directory structure
> still intact?

Yes.

I believe you could do this with a CMake script which gets run (using
cmake -P) when executing a custom target.  The CMake script would
require the path to command-line svn to be passed to it using -D.  It
then would run "svn status" via execute_process() storing the results
in a string which it would then need to use a regular expression to
match for modified files.  It would need to do another
execute_process() and call "cmake -E tar cz <filenames>" to create a
tarball for the files (which does preserve directories).  It doesn't
look like ZIP files are supported via cmake -E yet.

Unfortunately, there are 3 caveats (that I can think of) which make
implementing the above of questionable value.

1. The script wouldn't function properly on systems lacking a
command-line subversion client (i.e. lets say someone who just has
TortoiseSVN installed on Windows).  It's possible that support could
be added to determine modified files without using the svn command
line, although I don't know how this could be accomplished.
2. The script would include ALL modified filenames within the source
tree inside the tarball which may or may not be desired.
3. The script would need to be modified if the OSG changed to a
different version control system (assuming a change in the patch
submission procedure didn't obsolete the need for the script
entirely).

> o Also enabling a user to double graphically check their local modifications
> relative to svn/trunk or a branch would be very useful.

On Linux I use "meld ." for this within the source directory.  Meld is
a python diffing tool that uses gtk bindings.  It works fairly well
and integrates with svn.

On Windows I install WinMerge and configure TortoiseSVN to use it as
an external diffing tool.  TortoiseSVN comes with a graphical diffing
tool but it's pretty weak.

> There is lots more to ponder, and I've tax returns to fill in so I'll leave
> more thoughts for later.

It's too bad there isn't an easy way for all of us developers who
donate our personal time from home working on open-source projects to
get tax deductions for it.  It's charitable work! :)

--
Philip Lowman