Hi again Paul,

Another idea: draw your point sprites after all the opaque geometry,
with depth write disabled and depth test enabled. Then they will
interact in z correctly with other objects in your scene. This will
result in some visual artifacts due to incorrect ordering of the point
sprites, of course, but perhaps your users will tolerate that.

That's what I'm doing now. It works OK, but not that great. The problem
is compounded by the fact that my particles represent dirt, and so the
particles are generally pretty close together, which makes blending
problems related to sorting very visible.

Correcting myself, I was doing some of the above but I hadn't disabled depth writes. Doing that gives much better results, the transparency/sorting artifacts are almost not noticeable. The one noticeable artifact that remains is when say two sprites come in front / behind each other in rapid succession, it appears as if they're flashing, but it's hard to see unless you're looking pretty close so it's pretty minor.

Thanks a lot for your help, next step would be to do sorting as Robert suggested but I'll see if the artifacts bother our clients enough for it to justify the extra time spent doing that.

J-S