Hi Sanat,

1) Since I am trying to use models in my simulation, I wouldn't want to spend
too much time on creating rigged+animated models in blender/3ds etc. I would
want to buy/use already rigged+animated models.

I did a bit of looking around and didn't find a good source of models with some common animations (walk, run, etc.) available on the web. TurboSquid sells models that are rigged, but you have to do the animations yourself (or find some motion capture data you can use, or do some motion capture yourself). Maybe you'll have more luck in your search, I hope so anyways.

2)In Blender, to export, I presume Collada 1.4 is the best format to pick in
order to preserve animations and skins.

As Cedric said from Blender your best bet is osgExport which will export in OSG-native format. Other options include Collada (for Blender, 3DSMax, XSI, Maya, etc.) or FBX (for 3DSMax, XSI, Maya, etc.), you just have to build OSG with the required 3rd party dependencies and it will load those formats with the animation.

3) The part I am having trouble getting figured out is this: Assuming I have a
model in dae format (collada). I didn't find any example where this can be used
in a simulation straight away taking advantage of the animation already present
in the model.

See the osganimationviewer example, if you give it a model file with one or many animation clips in it, it will allow you to play them (even play multiple clips at the same time blending the animation). For example I had done some tests with XSI (exporting in Collada and FBX format) and had a character with two animations: a walk cycle and an animation of his head turning left and right. I could start both at the same time and he'd walk while turning his head.

I am already working on an osg app using visual studio and was not sure if I
can use just the character animation part of delta 3d as osg satisfies my other
requirements so far.

If you want character animation and can use the above formats/tools, I would personally just go with OSG since it will fulfill your needs without any additional external dependencies (like osgCal + Cal3D).

Hope this helps,

J-S