Concerning the DICOM issue, I performed additional tests:

 - The error seems to be related to compressed DICOM datasets.
 - On the website http://pubimage.hcuge.ch:8080/, most dataset will generate
errors ("Invalid data value") when trying to read the dcm files as is). the
PHENIX dataset works (it doesn't seem to be compressed as the dcm files are
much bigger). The website indicates that the dataset are JPEG2000 compressed
(as far as I understand).
 - I tried to read those files on Linux too: same errors !
 - I set the dicom dictionary path properly (DCMDICTPATH=...) so that's not
the problem.
 - trying to use dcmdjpeg to try to decompress the images doesn't work
 - dcm2pnm doesnt work either
 - dcmj2pnm doesn't work too.

Any idea what I could be missing here ???

Manu.