Hello Andrew,

The Qt integration with Delta3D 2.3.0 under Windows is incredibly stable, so
perhaps this should be something to have a look at (I speak from experience on
using this package with Qt). Delta3D uses OpenSceneGraph for its rendering (see
the particle editor example). However, I don't want to use Delta3D anymore as it
is much larger than OSG itself and it isn't support on Mac.

Well, it depends on what you mean by Qt integration - there are two angles:

1. Integrate an OSG window in a Qt window (i.e. have an OSG window inside your widget, and let it do its thing)

2. Integrate Qt widgets inside an OSG window (i.e. have Qt widgets as part of your scene).

The osgQtWidgets and osgQtBrowser examples (and their component classes) implement number 2, and the osgViewerQT* examples implement number 1. Last I checked, Delta3D only implemented number 1, but some users were trying to implement number 2.

What I'm working to improve is performance. The way Delta3D does its window integration (number 1) makes Qt drive the OSG rendering, so you lose all parallelism between OSG and Qt. Note that the osgViewerQtContext and osgViewerQtWidget also have this problem - anytime you have a Qt widget's repaint or a Qt timer calling viewer.frame(), that's bad IMHO. And the way the user I saw on a forum was proposing to implement number 2 was along the same lines.

I currently have an implementation of number 1 which lets OSG run loose (completely parallel to Qt) which I have yet to submit, and our implementation of number 2 also lets OSG and Qt run in parallel (minus some locking that needs to occur at the right times, and threading issues that we fix as we find them as I mentioned in my previous post).

So I think the stability issues you mention are just part of the evolution of these classes, they need more users to look at them to help make them better. But their low-level approach is better than what I've seen in other places (including what I've seen in Delta3D, but that might have changed).

J-S