From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of Brad Huber
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:40 AM
To: osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org
Subject: [osg-users] Supporting multiple frame rates

Hello,

We currently have an OSG based application which renders at 30-60+ fps on our
development hardware with discrete gpus.  Unfortunately we have to be able to
deploy on a wide range of hardware including stuff that is significantly less
capable (Intel GPUs, etc).  On some of these slower platforms we are seeing
framerates that are 10-15 fps.  This is actually ok for us with one exception,
live video.

We show live video in the scene graph (for now strictly in the HUD).  We have a
requirement to make the video render at native speed (~30 fps).  I am looking
for a way to make the HUD/video render at 30 fps and let the rest of the scene
graph render at a floating rate (whatever the machine can handle).

How might this be accomplished?  Since this is a HUD, obviously it must
ultimately render to the same graphics context, however it doesn't really need
to respect the depth buffer, etc of the rest of the scene (it should always
render on top).

PS Should I be thinking about render to texture?

Related threads I came across:
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?t=7858
http://lists.openscenegraph.org/pipermail/osg-users-openscenegraph.org/2008-January/006000.html
http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?t=7117