On 4/28/2011 9:39 AM, Brad Huber wrote:
> We currently have an OSG based application which renders at 30-60+ fps on our
> development
> hardware with discrete gpus.  Unfortunately we have to be able to  deploy on
> a wide range
> of hardware including stuff that is significantly less capable (Intel GPUs,
> etc).  On some
> of these slower platforms we are seeing framerates that are 10-15 fps.  This
> is actually
> ok for us with one exception, live video.
> We show live video in the scene graph (for now strictly in the HUD).  We have
> requirement to make the video render at native speed (~30 fps).  I am looking
> for a way to
> make the HUD/video render at 30 fps and let the rest of the scene graph
> render at a
> floating rate (whatever the machine can handle).
> How might this be accomplished?  Since this is a HUD, obviously it must
> ultimately render
> to the same graphics context, however it doesn’t really need to respect the
> depth buffer,
> etc of the rest of the scene (it should always render on top).
> PS Should I be thinking about render to texture?

  I would.

  This is a long shot, but what if you rendered the 3D scene to a texture using
double
alternating texture buffers. While the 3D scene is rendering to the buffer, the
HUD can
render the previous frame with the video on top of it to the actual screen.
When the next
video frame is ready, if the next 3D scene hasn't finished rendering, just
re-use the
previous frame's texture. When the 3D scene does finish rendering, set a flag
to indicate
it should now be used by the HUD, and begin rendering the NEXT 3D frame.

  Share resources (a la wglShareLists) so that there isn't a copy overhead
transferring
the rendered texture around.

  I've never tried it, but I think it could work, as long as your hardware can
deal with
rendering a quick HUD in the midst of rendering the complex 3d background scene.

--
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson, omo sanza lettere. xe...@alphapixel.com
http://www.alphapixel.com/