Hi,

I am trying to learn OSG for use in Flightgear.  I have seen a technique
used regularly that I am not able to figure out.

Essentially a scene is using an rgb file which is transparent and whilst
quite large (1024x768), contains many different 'icons' of smaller size and
what appears to be an 'alpha mask' for the main image area.  These icons
appear to be extracted and used within a dynamic scene, but I am not sure
how this is done as it does not appear obvious in the code (i was expecting
some image coordinates at least).

The particular example within Flightgear (for those who may be familiar) is
wxradar.cxx and wxecho.rgb)

Could somebody please take the time to explain how This works in principle
and what the technique is called?

Many thanks,

Robbo